The Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology comprises of the Basic Pharmacology Unit located in the College Campus, Bagayam, and the Clinical Pharmacology Unit located in the Hospital Campus, Vellore.
The Department was established in 1942 in the College Campus, Bagayam. It moved to its present site, the Fleming Research Institute, in 1962. The Institute was named after Sir Alexander Fleming who had visited the department in February 1953, and it was opened by the former Union Health Minister, Rajkumari Amrit Kaur. The Clinical Pharmacology Unit was started in 1976. It moved to its current location in 2007. The Department, contributes to education, patient care and research.